Purposeful, Practical Advocacy For You & Your Future LET'S GET STARTED

Family Petitions Attorney in Boston, Massachusetts

20+ Years of Immigration Law Experience

U.S. citizens and permanent residents have the ability to petition for certain family members to obtain a visa or green card. Family immigration provides several options depending on the sponsor’s relationship and immigration status.

Are You a U.S. Citizen?

U.S. citizens are able to sponsor the following groups for a green card:

  • Spouses (IR-1 Visa)

  • Children (IR-2 Visa)

  • Parents (IR-5 Visa)

  • Siblings

Are You a Permanent Resident?

Permanent residents are also able to sponsor their spouses and children. If a child is married, they, unfortunately, are not eligible to be sponsored by a permanent resident. If you have a parent, sibling, or married child that wants a visa, then the best decision is to get in touch with an immigration lawyer to explore your options.

A Brighter Future for Your Family

Preference Categories

For all groups but immediate relatives of U.S. citizens (spouses and unmarried children under 21), the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services gives preference to certain groups based on priority.

  1. First preference goes to adult, unmarried children of U.S. citizens

  2. Second preference goes to spouses and non-adult children of permanent residents (2A) and unmarried adult children (2B)

  3. Third preference goes to married children of U.S. citizens

  4. Fourth preference goes to siblings fo U.S. citizens

Each preference group has an annual quota. Only a certain amount of visas for these groups are given out each year.

Your Next Steps

If you want to bring a family member to the U.S., then you should need a Boston immigration lawyer to represent you. Immigration law is extremely complex, and just one mistake could lead to a rejection of your petition.

My firm, Foley Law Offices, has been successfully representing immigrants for over 20 years. I am passionate about helping immigrants achieve their American dream and reunite their family.

Get in touch right now by calling our office for a free phone consultation!