Purposeful, Practical Advocacy For You & Your Future LET'S GET STARTED

Consular Processing Attorney in Boston, Massachusetts

Applying for Permanent Residency While Overseas

There are two ways to obtain a green card that allows you to have permanent resident status in the United States. One way is to apply for an adjustment of status. This is an option for non-immigrants who are currently residing in the United States. If you are already in the country, this process allows you to become a legal resident without having to go home to your native country.

The other method for receiving your green card is called consular processing. This allows foreign nationals who are not currently in the U.S. to apply for residency. If your immigration petition is approved and you possess a visa number, you can apply to a U.S. Consulate in a foreign country for permanent residency. Additionally, non-immigrants who do reside in the U.S. may choose to go through the consular process if it is more convenient for them to access a consulate.

Both methods of obtaining a green card are guaranteed in the Immigration and Nationality Act. Consular processing usually takes between six months and one year. It is a shorter method than the adjustment of status process, which usually takes one to two years.

For Skilled Guidance

Retain Foley Law Offices Today

Searching for a lawyer for consular processing in Boston? In order to apply for consular processing, you will need to gather a significant amount of documentation, including:

  • A passport

  • Birth certificate

  • Medical exam results

  • Employment history for the last 10 years

  • Police certificates

  • Military and marriage records if applicable

This process can be complex, so it is wise to have legal counsel from a Boston immigration lawyer on your side. For the last 20 years, I have helped men and women solve their immigration difficulties and achieve their goals of residency, citizenship, and naturalization. Let me put my experience to work for you. It is my mission to help immigrants begin their own American dream. Call my Boston law office today to learn how I can help you.