Looking for pursue further education or training in the United States? Our law firm is well versed in visa options available to you.

F-1 Student Visas

Generally known as an F-1 visa, the student visa is available to foreign students who intend to pursue a full course study at a college, university, high school, language program, seminary, conservatory, or other educational institution of their choice. Before you can apply at a U.S. Embassy for a student visa, the student must first be accepted to an approved school, then present a Form I-20 and supporting documentation in person at the U.S. embassy or consulate.

F-1 are admitted for the “duration of your student status”. That means you may stay as long as you are a full time student.

M-1 Vocational Students

The M-1 visa is a type of student visa reserved for vocational and technical schools. To obtain an M-1 visa for traveling to the United States, a student must present a signed Form I-20 at a United States embassy or consulate in their home country

M-1 students are admitted into the United States for a fixed time period. When they cross the border, their I-94 departure cards are stamped with a date, unlike students with an F-1 visa. Their stay may not exceed one year unless they are granted an extension for medical reasons. Students in M-1 status may not work on or off campus while studying, and they may not change their status to F-1.

J-1 Exchange Visitors

Exchange visitor status, normally referred to as J-1 status, allows aliens to enter the United States to participate in programs which will provide them with training and experience in various fields. An exchange visitor must be sponsored by a designated exchange visitor program.

Categories covered by the program include trainees, teachers, exchange students, scholars, professors, international visitors, foreign medical graduates, au pairs, and a few other categories.

J-1 exchange visitors are granted periods of stay in the United States lasting from a few weeks up to a few years, depending on the category.

Spouse and Minor Children

Your spouse and unmarried, minor children who intend to reside with you during your study may apply for F-2, M-2, or J-2 dependent visas. Your school of study must issue your dependents an individual Form I-20, which is required to apply for their visas. Proof of relationship such as a birth and/or marriage certificate is also required.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Most foreign students who study in the United States have the option to gain real life experience in their fields through Optional Practical Training or “OPT”. OPT is valid for a period of twelve months following the completion of a student’s degree. The employment must be related to the field of study, and must be approved by the university as well as U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Foley Law Offices Has Served New England’s Immigration Needs Since 1991

To learn more about studying in the United States, including the application process, approved schools, the interview, etc., contact our attorneys today. Your education is too important to go at this alone; invest in yourself and your future!